Summer is a great time to relax and recharge, but if you feel like doing a bit of PD in between all that chilling out, there are plenty of opportunities to do so.
Here are a few of the upcoming educational technology workshops, webinars, conferences and more that you can take advantage of this summer.
LT Workshops and Courses
To see what we’ll be offering this summer, check out our full calendar of training opportunities. We tend to offer fewer options over the summer as there are fewer faculty on campus, but things do ramp up near the start of Fall Term!
You can choose from a wide range of both in-person and online conferences this summer.
Faculty Summer Institute
May 23-24, 2023 Champaign-Urbana, IL
The 2023 conference theme is “Designs for Learning.” Read more about it here.
This theme is supplemented by FSI’s longstanding byline: Adapt, Evolve, Engage.
- Adapt – We are adapting to the changes across higher education. From student needs to budget climates to accreditation to the value of education in general.
- Evolve – We will be evolving our teaching styles to match changes in learning. We will be evolving our conferences, professional development, and outreach to demonstrate our value in this changing environment.
- Engage – How do we engage our students where they are? How do we engage our campuses to understand the changes that are impacting higher education? What strategies can we use to engage both internal and external stakeholders to help in these changing times?
We challenge you to think about this theme and these action words and how you can help us organize an event that is beneficial not only to you but also for your campus and its students.
June 25-28, 2023 Philadelphia, PA and Virtual
ISTE’s immersive and collaborative events bring together educators who are reinventing education and using technology to help students drive their own learning. Our virtual and face-to-face events draw the most innovative education changemakers from around the world. ISTELive draws some of the most thought-provoking and exciting speakers from the world of education and beyond. Whether you experience our Featured Voices on the ISTELive Mainstage or as expert instructors in other learning formats, you’ll connect, you’ll learn and your mind will be blown!
Anthology Together (Formerly BbWorld)
July 17-20, 2023 in Nashville, TN
Hear from industry thought leaders, education professionals, and learners from all backgrounds and life experiences about the key issues and trends in EdTech that will drive innovation in 2023 and beyond.
Distance Teaching and Learning Conference
July 25-27, 2023 in Madison, WI
This comprehensive experience brings together all the elements of the online enterprise in a holistic way—from teaching and learning to leadership and administration—preserving the salient issues for these two distinct professional communities, while catalyzing dialogue across all facets of the larger field.
Since 1985, UW-Madison’s DT&L Conference has provided a transformative professional development experience for individuals working in the field of distance, hybrid and online education – from faculty and instructors to instructional designers and administrators. This event perfectly complements UPCEA’s more than 100 years of advocating for the Wisconsin Idea, namely, that the benefits of the university should extend beyond the walls of campus to the communities they serve. A century later, the powerful vision that fueled the extension movement has found its purest form in online and professional continuing education. And that is what drives UPCEA today.
The ION Summer term runs from June 5th until July 30th. Courses being offered are:
- Instructional Design for Online Course Development
- Overview of Online Instruction
- Practicum for Master Online Teaching Certificate
- Student Assessment in Online Courses
- Encouraging Communication
- Faculty Support for Online Leaders
- Digital Technology
- Creating Accessible Videos
- Creating and Sharing Open Educational Resources
- Technology Tools
Find more information about courses and registration on the ION website.
Webinars and More
Still haven’t found what you’re looking for? Here are some other opportunities to learn!
- Adobe Education Exchange Check out Adobe’s listings of available summer training! You can learn how to make infographics in Illustrator, create cultural studies zines, build interactive student portfolios and more!
- EdSurge Online Webinars These webinars cover a wide range of topics, mostly focused on using technology to teach and learn. Explore topics like online proctoring, anti-racist pedogogy and more!
- Education Week Webinars While some of these webinars may be more K-12 focused, many are general enough to provide interest and insight for those working in higher education as well.
- Anthology Webinars Find webinars directly related to teaching with Blackboard and other edtech topics.
Have other learning opportunities you want to highlight? Share with us!